Friday, March 31, 2017

Day 6-Reykjanes Peninsula, The Blue Lagoon and departure

Our final day in Iceland started early. It was important to me to see everything possible in our brief 6 day vacation here. We left Reykjavik and headed to the Reykjanes Peninsula. From the city, it was about an hour and a half around this tiny peninsula that reminded me a lot of a cold lava desert. Our first destination was The Bridge Between Two Continents. We made this a quick stop, as it was still cold, although very clear weather.

Circling south and east, we stopped in Grindavik to gas up, and then headed north to The Blue Lagoon. Months ago, I made a reservation for the luxury package. How awesome would it be to splurge right before we leave such a beautiful place? The luxury package gets you exclusive access to the lounge, private shower, and a private entrance to the lagoon. We also left with a samples of their products (which do not come cheap). 















The Blue Lagoon is one of the 25 wonders of the world, and I can see why. This is a magical place of blue, warmth and relaxation. It gives you every excuse to have Prosecco at 10:00 in the morning (which I definitely enjoyed!). As you can see in the photos, there was not a cloud in the sky, and the blue sky just enhanced this paradise. Pay no mind to any touristy reputation it has; it is worth a visit. If I can ever travel to Iceland again, The Blue Lagoon will be part of my itinerary. I may not splurge on the luxury package again, but to sit and unwind in those waters is luxury in itself. The final spoiling we gave ourselves was a delicious lunch at the Lava Restaurant. My daughter had the cod, I had the lamb. Perfect meal for sitting on the plane for 7 hours.


Here is my happiness from visiting this beautiful country. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to experience such an amazing place. What made this very special is I got to share it with my 20 year old daughter. She is old enough to appreciate this experience, but young enough that I hope it encourages her to travel more.







No comments:

Post a Comment